If you don’t like cooked broccoli you will likely still like this salad. I have made it many times and there are never any leftovers. There are many different variations of this salad but this is my favourite. My husband loves this salad and he requests it often especially in the summer.
Salads weren’t high on the list of priorities for my Billet Sons. Many of them did not like vegetables and I can only recall one that really liked Broccoli. As a Billet Mom I made this salad and would ask them to just try a little bit. Every boy that did would always go back for a second helping.
A Billet Mom’s “Broccoli Salad” Ingredients
4 – 6 large heads broccoli
1 package bacon
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup white sugar
2 Tablespoon vinegar
Salt and Pepper
A Billet Mom’s “Broccoli Salad” Directions
- Dip broccoli heads into boiling water, count to 30 and remove. Plunge immediately into ice cold water, remove, place on paper towels and drain well. Chop into bite sized pieces.
- Cook bacon, cool and crumble, add to broccoli.
- Mix mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and onion together. Pour this mixture over broccoli and bacon.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Add cheese and mix.
- Refrigerate overnight and serve next day. Stir occasionally. Drain salad before serving if desired.
A Billet Mom’s Notes and Tips
- Plunging Broccoli heads into ice cold water will helps to maintain their colour.
- Sprinkle salad with grated cheddar cheese before serving.
- Use a slotted spoon to serve salad as this salad is somewhat runny after it sits for any length of time.
- This can be made the day before you want to serve it because the longer it sits the better the flavours blend. If you do make it ahead of time check it, you may have to drain it once or twice.
- if you don’t have time to cook the bacon use real bacon bits.
- Health Benefits and Nutritional Information of Broccoli
- Broccoli One of the Healthiest Foods
- 21 Best Benefits and Uses of Broccoli