A good friend of mine passed on this recipe. There are no eggs in this recipe and it is chocked full of dates. Be careful you might not be able to stop at just one piece! I always tell everyone that dates are healthy for you so don’t be afraid to have another piece! To be honest it is pretty hard to stop at one piece, especially if it is just out of the oven. With a cup of tea or a mug of coffee this makes a great evening snack!
This yummy Date Loaf got a lot of laugh’s from my Billet Son’s. I would say to them “we are all going on a date for dessert tonight” they would look at me like I had three horns. Then I would smile and say “a date loaf that is.” Unfortunately, my Billet Sons only liked one kind of dates and it wasn’t the kind that went into this loaf.
A Billet’s Mom’s “Date Loaf” Ingredients
1 cup dates, chopped
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter
1 cup boiling water
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
A Billet’s Mom’s “Date Loaf” Directions
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Mix together dates, baking soda, butter and boiling water. Let cool.
- Add brown sugar to cooled date mixture.
- Blend together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix flour mixture into date mixture and let rise for about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix together.
- Put into 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
A Billet Mom’s Facts
- Save time by purchasing your dates already chopped.
- If you do chop your own dates try this easy tip. Have a mug of very hot water handy. Use a sharp paring knife and keep dipping it in the hot water. Dates are very sticky and this makes it much easier to cut them up.
- For a decadent dessert butter your slice of date loaf.
- 20 Things You Can Do With Dates
- 17 Delicious Thing You Can Make With Dates
- 10 Ways to Use Dates instead of Processed Sugar
- 10 Decadent Date Desserts To Try
- Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits