A good friend of mine made this appetizer for her son-in-law’s birthday party. I lost count of how many of these tasty little morsels I devoured. They are so good that I just had to have the recipe. They are a little fussy to make but believe me they are well worth the effort. Everyone that tries them can’t stop at one.
As a Billet Mom I seldom made these for my Billet Sons. Usually I just made these for entertaining. However, if I did make them for my Billet Sons I made the rounds larger, getting only 2 rounds out of a slice of bread instead of 4. Those Billet Sons of mine would consume at least a half dozen of these at a time.
A Billet Mom’s “Ham Puffs” Ingredients
1 – 8 ounce (250g) package cream cheese, softened
1 egg yolk
1 tin deviled ham
8 – 10 slices of bread
Dash of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
A Billet Mom’s “Ham Puffs” Directions
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Cut 4 rounds out of each slice of bread.
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise, then ham on each round.
- Beat cheese with egg yolk, baking powder and salt. Put a small amount of this mixture on ham round.
- Sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes.
A Billet Mom’s Notes and Tips
- Deviled Ham is sometimes hard to find. When you find it purchase several tins. It is usually found where the canned meats are.
- You can use ham flakes for this recipe but it just isn’t the same as the deviled ham.
- Use whatever type of bread you like. I prefer white for these but whole wheat or flavoured breads work as well.
- I don’t add the salt as the ham is loaded with salt. However, the salt helps to activate the baking powder.
- You will likely have to double the recipe as these go very quickly.
- You can do some of the preparation ahead of time by cutting out your rounds. Spread with mayonnaise and ham and refrigerate. Then all you have to do is mix together your cheese, egg yolk, baking powder and salt.
- These are great for lunch served with tomato soup or a garden salad. Just make them larger to serve this way. Instead of 4 round out of a slice of bread make only 2.
“Deviled Ham” Facts
- What Is Deviled Ham?
- Underwood® Meat Spread Recipes
- Calories in Deviled Ham Spread
- Nutrition Facts for Deviled Ham Spread
- Make your own Deviled Ham Spread