As a little girl I can remember on rare occasions going to the local bakery and getting to pick out a treat. I always chose a chocolate eclair. I loved that puff pastry with the whipped cream filling and the chocolate on top. I always thought they were so hard to make until I made them myself. I found out they weren’t so hard to make after all just time consuming.
I was going through my recipes and found this one for lemon cream puffs. As I absolutely love lemon I decided to give them a whirl. To me they are even better than the chocolate ones. I know, I know, you chocolate lovers definitely won’t agree with me but I like lemons more than chocolate.
As a Billet Mom I made treats once in a while for my Billet Son’s. These cream puffs where requested by my Billet Sons. Not because of the lemon flavour but because they loved whipped cream.
A Billet Mom’s “Lemon Cream Puffs” Ingredients
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg beaten
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons butter, cubed
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons sugar
A Billet Mom’s “Lemon Cream Puffs” Directions
- In a saucepan bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour all at once. Stir until smooth ball forms. Remove from heat, let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth.
- Drop by rounded Tablespoons, onto greased baking sheets, 3″ apart.
- Bake at 400º F. for 30 to 35 minutes. Put on wire rack. Split and discard soft dough inside. Cool.
“Lemon Sauce” Directions
- In a small saucepan combine egg, sugar, juice and butter. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir 5 to 7 minutes or until mixture is thick enough to coat a metal spoon.
- Remove from heat and cool in a bowl of ice water, stir for 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and press plastic wrap onto surface of filling. Chill for 1 hour.
- In a bowl beat cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold into lemon mixture. Fill cream puffs, replace tops. Dust with confectioners sugar.
A Billet Mom’s Notes and Tips
- It’s best to make these cream puffs the day of or the day before you want to serve them. The pastry starts to go soggy if it sits around too long.
- Make the shells and fill them just prior to serving.
- Place shells on paper towels after they cool. The paper towels will soak up any moisture that might come out of them.
- If you really like lemon sprinkle the cream with a little lemon zest before replacing the top.
- Use the lemon sauce for dipping fried chicken or fish.
- The lemon sauce is delicious in these simple desserts. Dessert #1: Cut sponge cake or angel food cake into pieces. Layer cake, lemon sauce and whipping cream in a glass jar or large glass bowl. End with whipping cream and a sprinkle of lemon zest. Dessert #2: Purchase or make a plain loaf cake, sponge cake or angel cake. Cut cake in two and put a generous layer of lemon sauce in between the layers. Mix the rest of the lemon sauce with whipping cream and spread over the top and sides of cake. Refrigerate. Slice and serve.
- Lemons Health Benefits and Nutrition Facts
- 16 Health Benefits of Lemons
- 45 Uses for Lemons
- 11 Beauty Uses for Lemons