A co-worker raved about this recipe. She used to talk about how her Brother made Pork Chops using a fantastic sauce. As a Billet Mom I was always looking for new recipes so I asked her to bring the recipe to me. Her Brother would prepare the sauce and then pour it over Pork Chops and bake them in the oven.
Steak doesn’t seem like something you would want to put a sweet and sour sauce on but believe me it is delicious. Using a slow cooker for this recipe was a better option for me as I was often working evenings and had to leave a meal ready.
A Billet Mom’s “Slow Cooker Steak In Sweet And Sour Sauce” Ingredients
Steak – 2 Large or 4 Small
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup water
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 Tablespoons ketchup
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons water
A Billet Mom’s “Slow Cooker Steak In Sweet And Sour Sauce” Directions
- Coat steak with flour sprinkle both sides with paprika and pepper. Pan fry until brown in a small amount of butter or oil. Set aside.
- Mix sugar, first amount of water, vinegar, ketchup and soy sauce together in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat.
- Mix the cornstarch into the remaining (2 Tablespoons) of water. Stir into saucepan until it comes to a boil and thickens.
- Pour half the sauce into slow cooker and add the steak. Pour remaining amount of sauce over steaks.
- Cook on low 4 to 5 hours.
A Billet Mom’s Notes And Tips
- I prepare my meat and cook my sauce in the same pan. This way you get all the flavour from the pan.
- This sauce can also be used on Chicken and Pork Chops.
- This recipe can be baked. For chicken, pork chop or steak, flour and brown in a skillet. Place in a casserole, pour sauce over and bake at 325º F. for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- You can cut any of the meat up into bite sized pieces or use stewing beef. Cut back on cooking time by an hour for slow cooker and 1/2 hour for casserole. Serve over steamed rice.
- Add pepper strips, chopped onion or pineapple tidbits to the sauce or any combination of these.
- If you like garlic increase amount to taste.
- If you like heat add a pinch of cayenne pepper or chili spice.
- Make the sauce on its own and use as a dipping sauce to dip chicken fingers, tenders or nuggets in.
- Use rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar for a different flavour.
“Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Sauce” Facts
- Make Your Own Basic Sweet and Sour Sauce for Dipping
- Sweet and Sour Sauce Variations
- What are the Cooking Temperatures of your Slow Cooker?
- Slow Cooker Information