Our family loves pasta and I am always searching for new recipes to try. I came across this delicious dish and it has become a favourite in our house. As a Billet Mom I had no problem getting my Billet Sons to eat pasta. With this casserole I rarely had any leftovers. Throughout the years of Billeting it became one of their most requested dishes.
This is another one of those pasta dishes that is time consuming but well worth the effort.
A Billet Mom’s “Stuffed Jumbo Shells” Ingredients
1 package jumbo pasta shells
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cubed
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup mozzrella cheese, packed
1 cup cheddar cheese, packed
1 can Hunts® tomato sauce
A Billet Mom’s “Stuffed Jumbo Shells” Directions
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted, boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain, separate shells and cool on cookie sheets lined with waxed paper or aluminum foil.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine chicken, onion, egg and bread crumbs. Cook chicken until no longer pink. Add spices. Stir in three-quarters of the mozzarella cheese and the cheddar cheese, cook until cheeses melt.
- Using a tablespoon or teaspoon fill the jumbo shells with chicken mixture. Place in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover shells with a thin layer of tomato sauce and the rest of the cheese. Cover with foil and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until it is bubbly. Remove the foil and bake for 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese on top is bubbling.
A Billet Mom’s Notes and Tips
- Use pre-cooked chicken pieces. Defrost in microwave, chop into pieces, add to skillet and proceed as the directions indicate.
- Chop up some broccoli fine and add to mixture in skillet or serve with broccoli.
- Serve with a salad and garlic bread for a meal.
- Leftover chicken can be used in this recipe.
- Add about 1/4 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese to the mixture.
- Before serving and as soon as it comes out of the oven sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- This dish can be made ahead and baked the next day.