Potlucks are always fun and a great way to get together and try new dishes. At Christmas the Billet families would often get together at someones home and enjoy a potluck. This particular year one of the Billet Moms brought this delicious bean casserole. It got rave reviews and was one of the most popular dishes on the table. She was told, not asked to make sure she brought it to any future potlucks. I asked for the recipe as I thought this would be a great side dish to serve my Billet Sons. I was right when I made it they always went back for seconds.
A Billet Mom’s “3 Bean Casserole” Ingredients
1 pound hamburger
2 onions chopped
1/2 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
1 – 15 ounce can kidney beans
1 – 15 ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
1 – 24 ounce can of baked beans, any flavour you like
1 1/2 Tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 to 3/4 cup ketchup
A Billet Mom’s “3 Bean Casserole” Directions
- Preheat oven to 350º F,
- Brown meat with chopped onions and drain, add bacon.
- Wash and drain kidney and cannellini beans. Add to meat along with baked beans.
- Mix together vinegar, sugars and ketchup. Add to bean mixture stirring gently.
- Bake for 1/2 hour.
A Billet Mom’s Notes and Tips
- This is best baked in the oven but then you can transfer it to a crock pot to make it easier to transport to a potluck. Set the crock pot on low to keep it hot.
- Don’t substitute any other types of beans it just doesn’t have the same flavour.
- If you like it a little spicy add some chili powder to the recipe.
- Cook your own beans and then put casserole together.
“Kidney Beans” Facts
- Complete Guide to Cooking Dried Beans from Scratch
- Kidney Beans Health Benefits
- 39 Amazing Benefits of Kidney Beans
- Varieties of Beans