This recipe was given to me by a co-worker who made these to give away at Christmas. She raved and raved about this cake and how everyone looked so forward to getting one. After sampling it this Billet Mom could see why. Each succulent bite deserved another. Chocked full of cherries I was hooked and had to have the recipe. I always keep one in the freezer to have ready if unexpected company pops in. A slice of this cake is delicious with a cup of coffee or tea.
In our Billet House this Cherry Pound Cake is a huge success. It is really hard to stop at just one piece! Not all my Billet Sons liked cherries or cake for that matter. However, those that did enjoyed eating a piece or two or three of this cake.
A Billet Mom’s “Cherry Pound Cake” Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups cherries
- 1 small can condensed milk
- 1/2 cup hot water
A Billet Mom’s “Cherry Pound Cake” Directions
- Preheat oven to 300° F. Lightly grease and flour 2 – 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pans.
- Combine flour and baking powder, keep out 1/2 cup and mix with the cherries.
- Cream butter and sugar, add eggs.
- Add vanilla and almond extract.
- Combine milk and hot water.
- Alternate flour and hot milk mixture. Blend in cherries scraping bottom often.
- Bake for 2 hours, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
A Billet Mom’s Notes and Tips
- I use maraschino cherries for this recipe.
- To give it a festive look for Christmas use red and green maraschino cherries. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar, add some chocolate curls and cherries with stems on top. Just like the picture.
- My co-worker made many of these loaves as gifts for Christmas. Wrapped in cellophane and tied with a red or green ribbon the recipients of these cherry pound cakes looked forward to their special treat.
- Use small loaf pans and freeze this cake to have on hand. Also, the smaller pans make this great for gift giving.
- Benefits of Eating Cherries
- Nutritious Facts and Calories for Cherries
- Interesting Facts about Cherries
- Fun Facts about Cherries