Who doesn’t like hash browns especially homemade? This easy to assemble hash brown casserole can be made for a breakfast brunch, for lunch or for dinner. It really doesn’t matter when you serve it you will seldom have any leftovers. If you do happen to have any leftovers they are just as good heated up and served the next day.
In my years of cooking I have tried many different ways to prepare them. Finally after experimenting with different combinations of ingredients I came up with this delicious hash brown casserole. Use your own combination of ingredients and you will still have a delicious casserole.
I remember making this casserole for one of my Billet Son’s who was afraid to try it. “What’s that?” he asked. “Potato Casserole” I answered. He tried it and came back for seconds and thirds. Every time I made this hash brown casserole I get lots of compliments.
A Billet Mom’s “Hash Brown Casserole” Ingredients
1 bag (1 kg size) Frozen Hash Brown Potatoes, thawed
1 – 500 ml container sour cream
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 cup bacon bits
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
2 1/2 cups plain potato chip, crushed
1/2 cup butter melted
A Billet Mom’s “Hash Brown Casserole” Directions
- Place thawed potatoes in a large bowl. Add sour cream, celery soup, chicken soup, onion, celery, bacon bits and cheese. Sprinkle with pepper and garlic mix and sprinkle again with pepper and garlic. Mix.
- Put into a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Melt butter in microwave and mix with potato chips. Cover top of potatoes with chip mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake in in 350º F. oven for 1 hour or until bubbly and lightly browned on top.
A Billet Mom’s Notes and Tips
- Substitute a can of chicken or turkey gravy for one of the soups.
- Substitute a can of mushroom soup for either of the soups.
- Use cream of cheese and broccoli soup or cream of cheddar soup for one of the soups.
- Saute onions and celery before adding to casserole if you prefer them softer.
- Add crumbled or sliced sausage instead of the bacon or use both for a delicious breakfast casserole.
- Instead of plain chips try flavoured chips like Sour Cream and Onion or Barbeque.
- Instead of potato chips try white cheddar or cheddar cheese puffs or balls. The crunchy cheese snacks work as well.
A Billet Mom’s “Cream Soup” Facts
- Nutrition Facts for Cream of Celery Soup and Cream of Chicken Soup
- Cream Soup Base Recipe
- Make Your Own Cream of Soup Mix
- Condensed “Cream of Anything” Soup