I also call this “10 Steps to a Killer Salad.” I sampled this at a potluck we held at work and I just had to find the person who made this so I could get the recipe. This is one of the easiest salads you will ever make and it is scrumptious! Unfortunately, I didn’t prepare this salad for my Billet Sons as I made it a lot during the summer.
A Billet Mom’s “Layered Lettuce Salad” Ingredients
1 medium head of lettuce (Iceberg is best)
3 stalks of celery, sliced thin
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1 can water chestnuts, sliced thin
1 – 10 ounce package frozen peas, do not thaw or cook
2 cups Hellmans® mayonnaise
3 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
4 boiled eggs
1/2 pound bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
A Billet Mom’s “Layered Lettuce Salad” Directions
- Spread the bottom of a 9 x 13″ baking dish with the lettuce, broken into bite sized pieces.
- Sprinkle over top of this the celery, onion, chestunuts and peas.
- On top of above spread mayonnaise. Sprinkle mayonnaise with the sugar and the cheese.
- Cover lightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Just before you serve cut boiled eggs into wedges and tomatoes into wedges to decorate the top. Sprinkle the bacon over this.
A Billet Mom’s Notes and Tips
- This is a great make ahead salad if you are having a gang. It feeds up to 12 people.
- Use Hellmans® mayonnaise for best results but other types can be used.
- To save time use store bought bacon bits instead of cooked crumbled bacon. Cooking your own bacon is best though.
- Substitute some sliced peppers and/or radishes for some of the celery. Make sure to slice thin.
- You can make this salad by increasing the amount of sugar to 1/2 cup and mixing 2 tablespoons of vinegar with the mayonnaise. Layer the following vegetables: lettuce, carrots, celery, radishes, green peppers, broccoli, cauliflower and onion. Make sure everything is sliced thin except for the broccoli and cauliflower which should be chopped into small pieces. Now add your water chestnuts and peas. Follow steps 4 and 5 to complete. This version helps to use up your vegetables especially when they are all in season.
- If you want to get fancy serve this salad in individual wide mouth jars. This can be a little fussy to prepare but you will get rave reviews. Just follow the steps for the regular salad. The only drawback to making it this way is you need plenty of room in your refrigerator to let it sit for the 24 hours.
- Head Lettuce Nutrition Facts and Calories
- How to Wash and Store Iceberg Lettuce
- The History of Iceberg Lettuce