I made these cupcakes with my granddaughter. I let her measure all the ingredients and put them in the bowls. My kitchen counter had flour from one end of it to the other. She also proceeded to drop the bag of confectioners’ sugar on the floor but together we cleaned it up. She had so much fun and the cupcakes were delicious. She couldn’t wait for them to come out of the oven.
A Grandma’s “Peanut Butter Cupcake” Ingredients
1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup peanut butter (the creamy kind)
1 cup light or dark brown sugar
1 large egg (at room temperature)
1/3 cup sour cream (at room temperature)
1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole milk (at room temperature)
1/3 cup finely crushed or chopped peanuts
1/2 – 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
A Grandma’s “Peanut Butter Cupcakes” Directions
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the oil, peanut butter, brown sugar, egg, sour cream, and vanilla extract with a handheld mixer. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk to this mixture. Add the peanuts and chocolate chips. Whisk or beat together until completely combined making sure you don’t overmix it.
- Spoon the batter into the liners filling only about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 21-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
A Grandma’s “Peanut Butter Cupcakes” Notes and Tips
- This recipe makes 12-14 cupcakes so you may need to line a couple for muffin
- Omit the chocolate chips if you don’t like chocolate.
- Sprinkle some chopped peanuts on top before baking.
- Put a mini peanut butter cup on top of the batter before baking. Press slightly into the batter.
- These cupcakes are so moist they don’t really need iced but if you like icing here is a frosting you can make.
- If you like lots and lots of frosting double the recipe.
- Decorate cupcakes with chopped peanuts, chocolate sprinkles or mini chocolate chips.
CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
- With a mixer beat for approximately 1/2 cup butter that has been softened to room temperature.
- Add 1 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar – 1/4 cup cocoa powder – 1 1/2 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk and beat on low for 30 seconds. Then add 3 Tablespoons (generous amount) peanut butter – 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract – 1/8 teaspoon salt and beat on medium to high speed for 2 minutes. If icing is too thin add more confectioners’ sugar and if too stiff add more milk.
“Peanut Butter” Facts
- Is “Peanut Butter” Good or Bad for your Health?
- Is “Peanut Butter” Good for You?
- The Best Homemade “Peanut Butter” with Variations