These raisin muffins are the first thing I ever baked. As a little girl I was thrilled when I got to make these muffins with my neighbour. I was so excited when I brought some home, fresh out of the oven. My family really enjoyed them. I love raisins so I knew that these would become a favourite of mine.
This raisin muffin didn’t rate high on my Billet Son’s favourites as most of them didn’t really like raisins. However, for those who did they quite enjoyed these served warm.
A Billet Mom’s “Raisin Muffins” Ingredients
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup shortening
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon, vanilla
1 1/2 cups unsifted all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
A Billet Mom’s “Raisin Muffins” Directions
- Put raisins and water into a saucepan and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes and let cool. Drain liquid into a measuring cup. Liquid should be about 3/4 cup.
- Cream shortening and brown sugar together until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Add raisin liquid and raisins.
- Sift dry ingredients and stir into the raisin mixture. Mix well and spoon into greased muffin tins.
- Bake at 350º F. for 15 to 20 minutes or until centre is firm. Yields 16 muffins.
A Billet Mom’s Notes and Tips
- I like lots of raisins so I increase the amount of raisins to 3/4 cup and water to 2 cups.
- If you like spice add 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon of any spice. I like cinnamon but ginger and allspice are good as well.
- These are better warmed up so about 10 – 20 seconds in the microwave is all they need.
- You can make this into a loaf instead of muffins if you like. It will take about 45 minutes or more to bake so you will have to keep your eye on it. Remove from oven when a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- The Health Benefits of Raisins
- Why Raisins Aren’t Good For Your Family Pet
- Nutrition Facts for Raisins
- 10 Ways to Enjoy Raisins