One year we had three players living in our home. One of our players was from the United States and his parents where coming to visit him. As a Billet Mom I thought it would be nice to get the parents together so they could meet each other. The game was on a Sunday so I prepared a buffet type meal. I looked for easy recipes and something I could leave cooking in the crock pot while we enjoyed the game. I came across this recipe and these bites went over really well. One of the player’s Grandmother told me how her husband just couldn’t stop eating them. My Billet Son’s enjoyed these as well because they liked their food a little on the spicy side and these had a nip to them.
A Billet Mom’s “Sausage Bites Appetizer” Ingredients
1 cup bottled barbecue sauce, any brand
1/2 cup apricot presserves
1 teaspoon dry mustard
16 ounces bratwurst, cooked and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
16 oucnes kielbasa, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
8 ounces small sausage links, cooked and cut in two
A Billet Mom’s “Sausage Bites Appetizer” Directions
- In a large saucepan combine barbecue sauce, apricot preserves and dry mustard. Cook and stir until bubbly. Stir in bratwurst, kielbasa and sausage. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat about 20 minutes more or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
A Billet Mom’s Notes and Tips
- Try this with different types of Sausage or meat. Here are some suggestions: Bologna Ring, Polish Sausage, Salami, Summer Sausage, Wieners (turkey, chicken or beef), Mild or Hot Italian Sausage, and Pepperoni to name a few. If you use Italian Sausage par boil before adding to this dish. All these meats taste great with this sauce.
- Make in your slow cooker. Mix all ingredients together in cooker and add meat. Cook on low until sauce boils and meat is heated through. Serve from cooker.
- If you want this dish really spicy use a spicy barbecue sauce.
- Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder or 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to give this dish a real kick.
- Quick Kielbasa Appetizer: Here is a recipe for making a Kielbasa Appetizer. Slice Kielbasa into 1/4″ slices and place in a frying pan. Add 1 can of Sprite® and saute in pan for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with toothpicks.
- All about Sausages
- Types of Sausage, Fresh, Cooked, Smoked, Cured
- 10 Bizzare Things You Should Know About Sausage
- 15 Popular Types of Polish Sausage