As a Billet Mom I have recipes that I call my old favourtes and this is one of them. I received this recipe years ago from my mother-in-law and she prepared this stuffing for all special occasions. I had never heard of making stuffing with sausage but as soon as I tried it I was hooked. She had to make extra as we ate every crumb of it. If I had my way I would have eaten this and nothing else.
I don’t need a special occasion as an excuse to make this stuffing. My Billet Sons love it and I often prepare it for a regular meal when serving roast chicken or turkey.
I can remember my Aunt adding fruit like apples and raisins to her stuffing. To be honest I never liked it and to me there is only way to make stuffing and that is with sausage.
A Billet Mom’s “Sausage Stuffing” Ingredients
1 pound breakfast sausage
3/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
3/4 cup onion, finely diced
1 1/2 cups celery, chopped
8 cups soft bread cubes
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
A Billet Mom’s “Sausage Stuffing” Directions
- In a large skillet brown sausage and crumble. Drain on paper towels.
- To skillet add margarine, onions and celery until tender but not browned.
- Add seasoning to bread crumbs and mix. Then add sausage and margarine mixture. Stir.
- Put in a casserole and bake at 350º F. for about 30 minutes.
A Billet Mom’s Tips and Notes
- Buy a loaf of egg bread, quality sandwich bread or soft Italian or soft French bread and make your own bread cubes.
- To save time purchase store bought unseasoned stuffing cubes.
- Spice to taste. You may want to increase the amounts of the thyme, sage and parsley, depending on how much spice you like. You can also add a small amount of rosemary. Instead of all the spices just use 3 Tablespoons of poultry seasoning. You can also use 1 Tablespoon of sage plus 1 teaspoon of thyme. There are unlimited combinations you can try.
- Use hot Italian Sausage for a real treat but only if you like it spicy.
- Double the recipe it goes quickly.
“Sausage & Stuffing” Facts
- Use leftovers to make balls with Cranberry Dipping Sauce
- Make your own Bread Cubes for Stuffing
- How to Make Homemade Sausage
- Create Your Own Stuffing (Variations)