I work full time and my slow cooker is my saving grace when I have to get a meal on the table by 6. If I am working in the evening I can prepare this for everyone to enjoy while I am at work. I would have the leftovers, if there were any, when I got home or the next day. On more than one occasion there were no leftovers for me!
This recipe came from a co-worker who suggested that perhaps I might like to try it to serve to my Billet Sons. She told me it was delicious and they would like it, she was right!
I put the sauce through the blender before pouring it over the chicken as several of my Billet Son’s were finicky and wouldn’t eat anything if they thought there were any onions in it.
A Billet Mom’s “Slow Cooker Chicken” Ingredients
4 boneless chicken breasts
Vegetable or Canola Oil
1 medium onion
1/2 cup celery
1 green pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons worchestershire
1 cup ketchup
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
A Billet Mom’s “Slow Cooker Chicken” Directions
- Heat small amount of oil in frying pan, just enough to coat bottom. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Roll chicken in flour and brown on both sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Using same frying pan, melt a small amount of butter and saute onion, celery and pepper. Add worchestershire, ketchup, water, salt and paprika and bring to a boil.
- Pour sauce over chicken. Cook on high until boiling and then on low 5 – 6 hours.
A Billet Mom’s Notes and Tips
- Use any chicken pieces you like, I prefer chicken breasts but you can use thighs, drum sticks or breasts.
- For extra colour you might choose to use green, red, orange or yellow peppers or a combination of any of them.
- If you don’t have celery use celery seed to get the flavour of celery.
- If you like paprika increase to 1 teaspoon.
- I like a little heat in my sauce so I would add a few chili flakes or chili powder or a small amount of cayenne pepper.
- Put sauce through a blender if you want a smooth sauce and/or you want to hide what’s in the sauce!
Slow Cooker Facts
- What is a Slow Cooker and What is it Good For?
- 23 Different Things You Can Make in your Slow Cooker
- Surprising Things You Can Make in your Slow Cooker