I have several recipes for Tomato Sauce but I make this one in my Slow Cooker. It is a little time consuming by time you chop up all the vegetables but the flavour is wonderful. With carrots, celery, onions and garlic it is delicious. When I am in a hurry I have made this sauce on top of the stove.
Not all my Billet Sons liked the vegetables left chunky so I usually put it through the blender for them. I cannot begin to count the amount of this sauce I have made over the years of Billeting.
A Billet Mom’s “Chunky Tomato Sauce” Ingredients
2 cans (28 oz) diced tomatoes, no salt or 1 (4 qt) basket tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 or 2 large onions, chopped
3 medium carrots, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
2 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
A Billet Mom’s “Chunky Tomato Sauce” Directions
- Put tomatoes in slow cooker.
- Add pepper, salt, sugar, and italian seasoning, stir.
- Add celery, onions, carrots and garlic, stir.
- Cook on High for 4-6 hours or on Low 6-8 hours.
- Mix in with pasta.
A Billet Mom’s Notes and Tips
- If you like peppers add a cup of red, green or yellow peppers, chopped.
- Jalapeno or chipotle peppers will spice this sauce up but be careful too many will make it too spicy!
- Put through blender if you prefer a smooth sauce.
- Freeze to use later.
- Season to your taste. If you like it a little spicy add some chili powder, chili peppers or cayenne pepper spice.
- If you like garlic increase the amount. I usually use a whole bulb of garlic. Roast a garlic bulb and add it to your sauce for a unique garlic flavour. If you decide to roast your garlic use the whole bulb in this recipe.
“Chunky Tomato Sauce” Facts
- Fresh Tomatoes vs. Canned
- Substituting Canned Tomatoes for Fresh
- How to Cut an Onion without Crying
- How to Roast Garlic